Thursday, September 28, 2017

Is my buckwheat too pooped to pop?

SPILLED KERNELS

I've seen several articles online about making buckwheat popcorn. This one seemed promising, so I tried to do what the author did. And my buckwheat kernels didn't do anything but sit there in the hot pan. 




I don't believe every single how-to thing I read on the internet, but in this case, I do believe
I used ten kernels for the first test, in a nonstick pan. I tried ten more kernels ina metal pan. In both cases, I got the pan hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle, but not so hot that the pan smoked. The first time, using the nonstick pan, it's possible that I should have waited a little longer to add the kernels. Maybe it doesn't work if the kernels roast a bit while the pan heats? But the second pan was definitely hot when I added the kernels. It was starting to smoke a little so I turned the burner down a bit, and I also dropped in a few drops of water to make sure they'd sizzle and evaporate. And they did. 

So I have set aside the twenty kernels from the first two tests, and tomorrow I think I'll try a few kernels from another bag of buckwheat I bought from a different seller. And maybe a few kernels from this year's buckwheat crop here at home. 

I believe this author popped the buckwheat, along with other grains which were also given the pop test. I did learn from looking at the photos that it was regular unhulled buckwheat and not the hulled groats. I wasn't sure on that so I appreciated having that information.




I like the idea of buckwheat popcorn. I have read articles by experienced poppers that they get a fair number of "duds." Still worth doing, I think. I'm also wondering if I killed the buckwheat kernels in the hot pans. I may try germinating them to see. I'll report back on that and on a pop test for the other two buckwheat selections. 
  
Looking for more detailed info on buckwheat? Take a look at the Pages Menu at the right.

Source for photos:  https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/how-cook-any-whole-grain-popcorn.html

No comments:

Post a Comment