Sunday, September 3, 2017

Baby food, rainbow zebras, and tobacco in a pouch -- and buckwheat

The word "buckwheat," many sources say, comes from a Dutch phrase which means beech wheat. I did a little deeper digging, and I'm actually not so sure about that. Might be a German word, actually. But whatever the source, the idea is that a
buckwheat kernel looks like a beech nut.

Buckwheat seeds











 
There's a beech nut in the center of the opened hulls.


Reading up on this made we wonder about the Beech-Nut brand.  I remembered that there's Beech-Nut baby food. . .



And there was a TV commercial in the sixites for Beech-Nut fruit stripe gum, and the cartoon zebra in the ad had stripes that looked like the colorful stripes on the gum wrappers. . .


And because my mother family were farmers and I grew up in soybean country, I knew that Beech-Nut was also a brand of chewing tobacco, which comes in a pouch. . .



And I wondered if the baby food, chewing gum, and chewing tobacco were all made by the same company. . .

Turns out the baby food and chewing gum are made by the same company, which specialized in the early 20th century is packaging, like vacuum sealed jars that kept baby food safe, and foil that kept gum from going stale. But the tobacco company is a different manufacturer, as a 1927 TIME magazine article tells us. . .



But here's the puzzlement: The Beechnut tobacco pouch in the photo above is vintage. Here's the modern pouch design:


Now compare the logo on the old and new tobacco packages to the logo on the fruit stripe gum package. The old tobacco pouch logo is a red oval like the "Beech Nut Brand" logo, and the new tobacco pouch logo has the beech nuts on stems. I know the tobacco pouch logo has two nuts and the gum has one, but the similarity seems more than accidental. And I thought, from the TIME article and other sources, that the food was Beech Nut or BeechNut with no hyphen and the tobacco company had a hyphen. . .

The further I go down this rabbit hole, the more confused I feel, and I still haven't even figured out if "boek-weit" is really a word in Dutch.

No comments:

Post a Comment